EXPERIENCE THE FIRST ISV EXCLUSIVE 3-WEEK MEDICAL PROGRAM IN SOUTH AFRICA!
ISV 2012 Medical & Nursing Program in South Africa Now Available with Limited Spaces
ISV has launched a brand new, specialized, Medical & Nursing Program in South Africa for 2012. The program has been customized from the standard 4-week program and is set to run for 3 weeks from April 28th – May 18th, 2012.
This is an amazing opportunity for Pre-Med, Nursing & Health Science majors to get involved in helping South African communities in need. As an ISV volunteer, you will not just observe, but assist in providing medical care to patients in their homes in this very interactive program. This experience will be invaluable to you as you continue your educational journey and share your knowledge and experience with local community carers.
The program consists of 2 weeks volunteer work followed by a 1 week custom-made tour known as the Garden Route. Check out the tour itinerary below.
The cost for this 3-week program is $2,995.00 (see below for a breakdown of what the cost does/doesn’t include). April is right around the corner but ISV has staff dedicated to helping you fundraise to offset your program costs. View the latest ISV Blog on Fundraising.
Don’t Miss Out! There are only 10 spaces available on this trip and spaces are filling quickly.
How to Book Your ISV Medical Trip
1) Apply Today!
Enter in SAFR GT in the promotion code box of the application to specify you are applying for this custom trip.
2.) Send an email to the ISV Group Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
-Let Irene know that you have submitted an online application and you want to confirm a spot on the Custom 3-Week South Africa program.
ISV also has a standard 4 week volunteer/adventure program featuring a medical project in South Africa on May 25 and Aug 3 and Ecuador on May 11 and August 3. Please email Irene for details.
Background of the Project
The medical project in Cape Town, South Africa is operated by 12 amazing men and women who work out of a green container in a township in Hout Bay. Their daily work consists of seeking out ailing residents who are isolated in their homes, usually shacks. The home-based caregivers help those without family or resources who can no longer take care of themselves. Each caregiver has at least 10 patients they visit every other day, and some patients who need care on a daily basis.
With only 12 caregivers for the entire township, their time and resources are stretched, which impacts the level of medical treatment they can offer. These caregivers are doing an amazing job, but a lot more could be done. No one really knows the extent of the problems here due to a lack of funding, resources and training. By volunteering with ISV, you will have the opportunity to provide extra support, reach out to more of the community, and help the project grow.
On this project, you will be working with overwhelmed and struggling families in the community. On a daily basis, you will be visiting patients with a local, home-based caregiver, working alongside them and taking on responsibilities as your skills and experience allow. You will ensure more people are treated and also help to update records to ensure the maximum number of individuals can be assisted. You will report on each patient’s progress, assist in giving patient medication, dressing wounds, giving baths, and helping with meal preparation when needed.
Customized Adventure Tour Itinerary
Take an incredible one week tour through South Africa’s famous ‘Garden Route’ and experience South Africa’s unique wildlife and incredible attractions including:
* Bathing in the Warmwaterberg Mineral Hot Springs
* Visiting the Cango Ostrich Farm
* Getting up close to Elephants and other animals at the Cango Wildlife Ranch
* A guided tour of Cango Caves
* 2 Hour game drive in open 4×4 vehicle in Addo National Park
* Canoeing on Sundays River
Our main volunteer accommodation is a house close to the center of Hout Bay on a quiet cul-de-sac. The house has a view over the town and is within walking distance of the township where you will be working. There is a large garden and lounge/entertainment area, two bathrooms and a big communal kitchen where meals are prepared. There is also a TV lounge and a communal barbecue (braai) area.
Your Program Cost Includes
* All materials needed to complete your project as well as supervision/leaders from your host organization staff
* All accommodations during the ISV Program
* All meals during 2 Week Volunteer Project
* All Program ground transportation in host country
* Fees as charged by host volunteer organization
* Orientation in host country
* Program set-up and management
* Administration and recruitment costs
* Professionally trained ISV Project Leader(s)
* ISV Travel Manual, Project Overview, Country Resource Document and additional ISV documentation to prepare you for the ISV Program
* ISV T-shirt
Your Program Cost Does Not Include
* Air transportation, air taxes and ticketing fees, and any country departure taxes (where applicable)
* Additional in-country (domestic) transportation by air (or boat) in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand and Ecuador
* All transportation and accommodation costs in your home country to and from the designated departure city
* Medical and travel/trip cancellation insurance (required)
* Passports (required), travel visas (where necessary), and any vaccinations (if required by your physician)
* Academic credit (optional)