Discover the real Thailand by getting off the beaten tourist track and having an authentic cultural and nature-based experience in Southeast Asia’s most exciting destination. Sun-swept beaches, mystical temples, smiling faces, lush tropical rainforests and tasty cooking are just a few of the wonders waiting for you in Thailand.
As an ISV volunteer, there is a diversity of opportunities where you can go deeper than being a tourist and actually help conservation and community development efforts designed to address the needs of rural Thai communities and environments.
On your Adventure Tour, you will step out of your comfort zone and experience the rich culture and incredible cuisine, exhilarating adventure activities and remarkable scenery that is the essence of Thailand. ISV’s Thailand Program will highlight the unique culture and landscapes of the region while allowing you to positively impact a nation struggling to balance economic developing for its people while conserving fragile ecosystems. After your journey you will be changed forever from the unbelievable places you have seen and the eternally optimistic people you have met!
First 2 weeks
Most projects incorporate elements of both conservation and community development
- Elephant conservation and rehabilitation
- Wildlife care for Asian animals rescued from the illegal wildlife trade
- Children’s outreach programs including teaching English and recreation to Thai children as well as refugees and ethnic hilltribe communities
- Community infrastructure improvements such as schools, housing and community centers, benefiting disadvantaged communities in rural Thailand
- Assisting communities with recycling and waste management programs
- Rehabilitation of vital mangrove ecosystems
Second 2 weeks
Immerse yourself in Thailand’s friendly culture and stunning scenery.
*Optional Activity Package (OAP) activities. For a full list of what’s in the OAP visit http://www.isvolunteers.org/destination/thailand/optional-activity-package/thailand-adventure-tours.
- Snorkeling around the blue waters of the Phi Phi Islands
- Full day treetop zip-lining adventure through tropical rainforest
- Sea kayaking to explore the beautiful islands and hidden caves of Phang Nga Bay
- Feeding and bathing elephants at an elephant conservation park
- Two day hill tribe adventure in northern Thailand
- White water rafting the Mae Taeng River*
- Thai cooking classes*
- Traditional Thai massage*
- Exploring beautiful Khao Sok National Park (Lake Tour)*
- Muay Thai kickboxing lessons and demonstration*
Optional 5 day Excursion
After your incredible four week program in Thailand, join ISV to experience another spectacular country in Southeast Asia: Cambodia. ISV’s 5 day excursion will take you to Siem Reap for a taste of Cambodian culture and history. From here, discover the ‘lost city’ of Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat, the largest religious monument in the world, an archaeological masterpiece, UNESCO World Heritage Site, and eighth wonder of the ancient world. With vine covered temples and mystical jungle ruins, the monastry of Ta Phrom served as the setting for filming Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Explore the city and surrounding ruins by foot, bicycle and tuk tuks, and also explore the countryside to discover Cambodian village life as part of a full day excursion which exemplifies responsible tourism. Experience the unique Phare Cambodian circus, a must-see in Cambodia. Wander local markets, try Khmer food and sample the tastes and aromas of this exotic region.